Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Email home #3a: On the way to Denver

(Sent February 4)


I am officially in Denver! I arrived yesterday (Monday), which is going to be my usual P-day. They allowed us to email today because we just didn't have any time to email yesterday and I'll tell you why: 

The other Denver North sisters and I all woke up at 2 in the morning to get to the mission office by 3:30. The other 4 sisters generously woke up at 3 to come help us move our luggage to the bus taking us to the airport. We hugged and said our goodbyes. It was a really sad goodbye. We had all grown so close to each other in just 11 days. It was like we've known each other for our entire lives...we have a theory we knew each other in the pre-existence and planned to meet up at this time in our lives.

At the airport, Sister Mills and I were able to get some quarters to use the payphone and call our families. (Btw, note to future missionaries: buy a prepaid phone card at the MTC Bookstore with your MTC card because it's free. I wasn't told this so I had to pay for my phone call home). Anyway, when you picked up the phone and I heard your voices, I pretty much wanted to cry. I don't think I realized how much I missed you both until I talked to you. The payphone counted the seconds pretty fast, though. It said I had 1:30 minutes left when, in reality, it was probably half that because of how fast the timer was going.

But the last 10 seconds was probably the saddest thing ever. I could only say "bye" and "I LOVE YOU" so many times up until *click* turned off.

I got a middle seat on the plane, which normally would suck but I got to strike up a conversation with the other two passengers. They were both really nice. We probably would've continued talking had we remained awake...

When all 12 missionaries on the flight and I arrived Denver, we headed towards baggage claim and, surprisingly, President Toombs and his wife were there to greet us!

We arrived the mission office and did a bunch of orientation stuff for the Denver North Mission. My mind was in and out that entire time seeing as to how I only got 3 hours of sleep the previous night. 

Throughout the orientations, I was so worried about Sister Wilde because she was placed on a completely different flight from ours and we hadn't heard from her yet. As I was waiting for my interview with Pres Toombs, she walked out of his office and I totally did a girly *gasp* and *HUG*. It was a huge relief to see her!

Then we met our new companions! It was weird to think that I wouldn't be with Sister Mills anymore. We were like a power companionship. But my new companion is super cool and really nice. Her name's Sister Hoynacki (took me while to get it...), pronounced's Polish! When I met her I did a slight head bow and said "KONNICHIWA! I flom Hong Kong. Engrishe not so good" all in my Chinese accent.

She fell for it. But only up until Sister Svedin was cracking up behind us....But Sister Hoynacki actually took it very well! She did say, however, that she thought, oh dang! I'm gonna have to teach her English! heh

Then the adventure began...

(Continued on 3b: In Denver)

No comments:

Post a Comment